Putting Me First

13:14


Hi guys, hope everyone is well.
I have been super quite on social media the past few weeks and 
it has certainly been a while since I had a blog post up. 

In this post I am going to talk about why I have been silent on my social media platforms and why I have decided that it is time to start putting me first.

So I guess i'll start back at the start...
As you all know now, my dad died suddenly last September and it has taken a huge toll on my life. I am very good at pretending that I am ok & its only people who are close to me that really know the extent of how I am feeling. As I have said in previous posts, my dad was my best friend & the person I confided in. To have that person taken from me with no warning, has left a void in my life. Talking to friends and family about my dad was helping to a certain extent but I knew I needed to take that one step further. So I decided that it was time to speak to a professional. I built up the courage and started attending bereavement counselling.

Now can I just say that I was totally anti-counselling. I attended counselling when i was younger and I felt it was a waste of time. I felt no better after I went, to be honest I felt worse. So after dad passed away, I went to my GP who prescribed me new medication for my anxiety and he said then about attending counselling but I just brushed it off. From previous experience, i knew it wasn't for me. Well thats what I thought. 

A couple of months on my new medication & I felt no better. I started to feel worse. So back to my GP I went, where he prescribed me new medication. Again, he mentioned the counselling to me but this time something clicked with me. Nobody was going to make me feel better only me. I had to start wanting to help myself. And thats what I did. 

So this was the start of me putting myself first. Since dad passed away I felt like I was constantly doing things for others and felt like I had no time for me. And it was making it harder for me to process not having my dad here.

Going into a complete stranger gave me some sort of relieve. That I could say what I wanted and say how I actually felt without having to worry about what other people thought. My first session kind of went the way I expected it to go. I bawled! I cried more or less for the whole hour. I knew I was going to get upset because even now when I talk about dad, I get this lump in my throat. After my first session I was a right-off. I was emotionally drained for days after it, but i needed it. I needed to cry. I needed for someone to just sit there and just listen to me. 

My second and third session, I didn't cry. I just talked about my dad and other aspects of my life that led to my depression and anxiety. No matter what anyone says, talking does help. My forth session was the last one I have had to date as I was away on holidays and I think it was the hardest one of them all. It was the Tuesday after Fathers Day & I was still upset about not being able to celebrate the day with dad. This was the session I dreaded but knew I would have to face eventually. I spoke in detail about the lead up to my fathers death, the during and the after. It was by far the hardest conversation I had in that room. Reliving the whole thing over again. It made me feel ill. But the counsellor has determined that I am going through trauma right now. I still haven't reached the grieving stage. Which terrifies me in a way, because I feel like absolute shite right now & it's only going to get worse before it gets better. But the one thing she did say & she is 100% right, I need to start putting myself first and doing things for me, because you can't look after anyone else if you are not 100% yourself. 

So I have taken her advice and slowly but surely I am putting myself first. Which leads me on to the next difficult decision I had to make over the last few weeks. It was a question, that only since losing my dad, has been playing on my mind. Where am I going with my life? I am 25 years old, working since I was 16 & currently working in a retail company for the last 7 years but not being able to see beyond that. That depressed me. I wanted to take the leap and start something new but my job was a safety net. I always questioned it, What if I leave and can't find a job? What if my new job only last a couple of months? What if I don't have enough money to live on? There was always the WHAT IF! 
There's a quote that I have always loved and its...

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone".

Even though I love that quote I was never able to live by it because I was stuck in my comfort zone. But something gave me that kick up the behind that I needed to take that leap & thats exactly what I did. After 7 years, I finally grew a pair and handed in my noticed. To say I was petrified is an understatement but after it was done, i felt like a new women! It was time to close a chapter of my life and start a new one. & thats exactly what I have done.  

So, am I happy I gave counselling another try? 
Most definitely.

Do I regret taking that leap out of my comfort zone? 
Not one bit!

So there you have it folks! 
The reason for my silence over the last while but I am back. I am ready for the next chapter for Jamie May! 

*If you've enjoyed this post give it a little like ;)*

Thanks for reading,

JamieMay X

Follow Me

Snapchat- JamieMayBeauty


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow Jamie you had me in tears reading this wow.... Great post thank you for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave Jamie, such a touching and inspiring post <3 Wishing you all the best in your new venture, anything is possible x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images